Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gals We Admire: Bal Arneson

Bal Arneson has come a long way since immigrating to Canada over 15 years ago. At the time, Arneson did not speak English or have an education. Fast forward to present day, she now holds a Masters in Education, has launched her own organic spice line. and is the host of her very own cooking show on Food Network Canada. Find out why the work life of the "Spice Goddess" is far from the daily grind.

Name: Bal Arneson aka Spice Goddess
Profession: Host of Spice Goddess on Food Network Canada, Author, and Educator
Website: Balsworld.com
Twitter handle: @balarneson

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
Starting with yoga, meditation, creating some recipes, getting kids ready for school, work, pick the kids up from school, dinner, play time with kids, putting kids to bed, a phone call or two to a girlfriend, creating more recipes and meditation and bedtime.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
Indira Gandhi was the Prime Minister of India when I was a young girl. I always wanted to be Prime Minister so that I could make positive changes to the lives of women.

What do you enjoy most about your job?
Sharing my passion of cooking with the world and sharing my village stories.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
Balancing a family life was my biggest challenge, but I have found a way to bring my kids to work and travel with me. Now I wish I could spend more time with my girlfriends!

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
For sure! I started cooking at the age of five on a clay barbecue pit and have been cooking with the same passion since.

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?

Follow your gut feelings.

Don’t follow money
, money will follow you once you are true to yourself.

If you can’t move forward, move side to side, but do not STOP.

0 comments:

Post a Comment