Thursday, March 22, 2012

Gals We Admire: Jennifer Gough

Jennifer Gough says the biggest challenge in her career is "simultaneously incorporating the creative and business sides". Find out more about how this visual artist spends her days. 


Name: Jennifer Gough
Profession: Artist
Twitter handle: @mindseyestudio

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
I’m one of the lucky ones who gets to do what I love for a living. Every day is different, but most days I arrive at the studio ready to paint. I start prepping canvas, organizing ideas, and planning my attack! Usually I work on pieces in groups of three or four, this allows me to keep consistency throughout the series and create a body of work that flows. I do put aside some time for answering emails and of course tweeting/networking during the day. I often post pictures and tweet my progress as I work.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
I have always known I wanted to be an artist.

What do you enjoy most about your job?
I love that every day I use my creativity. I love that often I’m covered in paint of all colours. I love when ideas come to life! In this profession there are no rules so I’m free to sculpt my life and career any way I see fit. This freedom allows me to take risks and experiment and in the end the reward is much greater satisfaction.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
My biggest challenge is simultaneously incorporating the creative and business sides of my profession. Creating requires me to use one side of my brain, focusing on allowing creative thought and inspiration to guide me. The business aspect uses a completely different side of the brain requiring the logical, and organized execution of tasks. Since these two components have completely opposite characteristics it can be difficult at times.

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
Absolutely!

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?
Decide what you want, envision your success, and take whatever steps are necessary to get there. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t achieve your goals!

0 comments:

Post a Comment