Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gals We Admire: Giorgina Bigioni

She's president and publisher of digital magazine The Kit so it's no wonder Giorgina Bigioni spends most of her day online with clients and her team. Find out more about Bigioni, including what she thinks is simultaneously the biggest challenge and the biggest strength in her profession.

Name: Giorgina Bigioni
Job Position Title: President & Publisher of The Kit
Website: TheKit.ca

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
I get up very early on most mornings, as my son is a rower and I am his driver. I drive him to the rowing club or to school to train for 5:15am. While I wait for his coaches to see that weather conditions are suitable for rowing, I start to check my emails and my workday begins. I spend a lot of time online with clients and The Kit team, and usually have at least one in-person meeting per day. Some days, I am working "in the trenches" and at other times on long-term strategy; no two days are ever the same. I try to get a workout or a run in almost every day. Later, I make dinner for my family, clean up and then often head back to the computer to finish the workday. I’m in bed by 9pm on most nights.


When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
I wanted to be a doctor until I had a nosebleed. After that I wanted to be an engineer and then a fashion designer!

What do you enjoy most about your job?
I love the variety. I adore the people I get to work with. And I value the flexibility.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
Not knowing what the "next big thing" is going to be. It’s also the biggest strength.


Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
Yes. I often feel like I instinctively just "get it."

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?

Focus.

Know where you are going.

Take risks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment