Thursday, December 1, 2011

Gals We Admire: Dr. Joti Samra


Dr. Joti Samra always knew she wanted to be a doctor, but she gets squeamish at the sight of blood. So, Samra found a way to make her dream come true—by becoming a psychologist.




Name: Dr. Joti Samra
Profession: Organizational and Media Consultant
Website: thepsychdoctor.com / drjotisamra.com
Twitter handle: @drjotisamra

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish

I have no typical day. Every day is different as I do so many different things! Most days I wake up early and start my day in my home office (responding to emails, doing writing of reports, preparing presentations, etc.). I typically spend a part of two to four days a week at a medical clinic where I see patients for treatment. I travel across Canada and through the US for work (speaking at conferences, presenting workshops). I also do media consulting and will do interviews for TV, radio, or print on a weekly/biweekly basis. This past weekend I was in the US spending the weekend doing a film shoot for Confessions: Animal Hoarding, developed by the producers of the critically acclaimed Intervention show (I am one of the clinical experts featured on the show). I am spending the bulk of today writing six weeks of “Ask a Health Expert” columns for The Globe and Mail.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
I would always say I wanted to be a doctor, but I hated blood so I wanted to be a doctor that didn’t have to work with blood. My dream came true.

What do you enjoy most about your job?
I love that I have the opportunity to do so many different things. I have the tremendous honour of being able to help people through some of the most difficult parts of their lives, and love that I am able to get to intimately learn about the personal life stories of so many great people.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
The biggest challenge for me is keeping a healthy work/life balance. I want to do it all, so say yes to it all!

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
Yes, 100%! I always knew I wanted to be a doctor and help people. I love what I do, I am so passionate about my work and it is the only thing I can ever imagine doing!

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?

Gals – you can do anything you set your mind to, and you can do anything guys can!

Set your dreams HIGH... no dream is too big!


Do what you LOVE and are GREAT at!

0 comments:

Post a Comment