Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gals We Admire: Shereen Arazm

Shereen-Arazm

She's a proud native of Toronto, and with her long list of credentials in the restaurant business, it's no wonder Shereen Arazm was the ideal candidate for the role of resident judge on hit reality TV show Top Chef Canada. Find out more about this top-notch career gal who's been described as "a vanguard of Los Angeles dining and entertaining", and is the creative force behind such Hollywood hot spots as sushi staple Geisha House and Italian eatery Terroni (which also has two Toronto locations).


Name: Shereen Arazm
Profession: Restaurant / Bar Owner

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
One of the great things about my job is that every day is different. Today for example I'm meeting with a permit expediter first, then one of my partners because we are looking at a new restaurant space. Then back to one of my restaurants for lunch, (I almost always eat at one of my locations, kills two birds with one stone—can keep your eye on things and eat at the same time!) This afternoon I have to go over a menu for a private luncheon I am hosting, then picking up my daughter, then home. Perhaps back to work depending on the night and or events in the restaurant.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
My own boss. "You are not the boss of me", was a sentence that I said at a very young age!

What do you enjoy most about your job?
Taking care of people. Seeing a full restaurant of people eating and drinking and having a great time makes me so happy. I'm very much a hostess and caretakerat home and at work. I love feeding people and making sure everyone is happy.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
Being a working mom. I'm sure it is the struggle every working mom faces, you always feel guilty, etc., etc. It's tough to juggle but I know my kids are happy if I'm happy, and I'm happy that I have a career. Also, I have a daughter and another baby girl on the way and I think it sets a good example to them as future women in the workforce.

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
No, not particularly but I am a big believer in doing what you love to bring you ultimate success. I don't believe there is only one career path for us but potentially a few different ones. Who knows what else I'll do in my future but I know that this is not all I will do.

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?
Do what makes you happy.

Follow your guts
, that voice inside your head will guide you in the right direction if you trust yourself enough to listen.

Listenyou would be surprised how much you learn from talking less and listening more. That's a lesson that took me some time to learn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment