Thursday, July 7, 2011

Gals We Admire: Heather Greenwood Davis

Heather-Greenwood-Davis

As a child, Heather Greenwood Davis wanted to be a writer when she grew up—and that's exactly what she became. Learn more about this travel writer, columnist, and
"globetrotting mama". Plus, find out what words of wisdom Davis has to offer other career gals.


Name: Heather Greenwood Davis
Profession: Travel Writer and Columnist
Website: globetrottingmama.com
Twitter handle: @greenwooddavis

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
I travel a lot! If I’m home my day starts around 4:30 am with an early trip to the gym, then I’m back in time to help pack lunches and get my sons ready for school. Once they're off it’s a combination of writing stories, interviewing subjects, meeting editors and putting out fires until around 5:30 pm. A couple of hours off for dinner with the family and bedtime routines, then I’m back at it until around 10 pm.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
A writer! In fact my dream was to write for the Toronto Star newspaper as a columnist. It came true and I’ve got no regrets.

What do you enjoy most about your job?
I love stories. I like reading them and I like telling them so this career was a natural for me. The fact that I get the chance to travel and meet interesting people to talk about makes it even better. I also love the flexibility that freelance offers. I set my own hours which can be a blessing and a curse. I am also my own boss which is similarly tough.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
Establishing a reputation and developing a roster of clients is tough when you're just starting out. I think you have to be willing to put in the time to develop those relationships and hone your craft.

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?

Absolutely. I went to law school and practiced law in between and hated it. This is what I'm meant to do.

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?

Discover your passion and figure out how to make it a career.

Try to live with the fear of the unknown and trust yourself
. Every time I’ve jumped, a net appears.

Be nice.
No one likes a meanie and people want to work with people they like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment