Thursday, July 21, 2011

Gals We Admire: Karine Idrissi

Karine-Idrissi
She uses her social media prowess to help promote one of the hottest cosmetic brands in Canada. Find out more about the exciting and fabulous career of Karine Idrissi.

Name: Karine Idrissi
Profession: Social Media Coordinator for Lise Watier Cosmetiques
Website: lisewatier.comlip-stick-stains.blogspot.com
Twitter handle: @lisewatier (professional);
@mylipstickstain (personal)

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
7:30am - My day begins with picking out what I am going to wear, followed by preparing my face for the rigorous day ahead. Cleaning, toning and dabbing on some UV cream (do not want to welcome wrinkles earlier then I have to!).
8:10am – Must indulge in a nice hot cup of coffee with my breakfast, nobody likes a grumpy co-worker!
9:00am – Check my e-mails, along with the Lise Watier Facebook & Twitter pages. Make sure they’re under control and that all questions are answered.
9:30am – Plan out my day, make sure every moment is maximized!
12:00pm – Lunch with my lovely co-workers, usually spent commenting on how unhealthy my lunch is or gossiping about the men in our lives!
Work until about 6:00pm, it goes by so quickly! Full of brainstorming, writing briefs, doing touch-ups on banners and contest, researching the web, blogging, Tweeting and Facebooking!
7:00pm - A girl’s got to eat! This is my precious down time with my boyfriend, girlfriends or family.
9:00pm – Usually on my laptop surfing the net, trying to find inspiration for innovative ideas for Lise Watier. I manage to sneak in some of my favourite TV shows while doing all this hard work! ;)
11:00pm – Bed time! I usually fall asleep to the soothing sounds of the TV or while reading a book.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
A model or actress, I obviously suffer from delusions of grandeur! Lol

What do you enjoy most about your job?
I really am blessed! This job came out of no where and welcomingly so! Life really does have a unique way of playing out! A social media coordinator or some might know the term “Community Manager” better, is a relatively new profession, especially since the business world is becoming more virtual. I love the fact that I am in this situation as the industry is burgeoning and my job is becoming an essential part to the growth of a brand. It is an exciting time to be a part of Lise Watier, as our online presence becomes stronger and we have just launched our new e-Boutique. What woman wouldn’t want to play with makeup all day?

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
Making everyone happy! I work with the public, whether it is our consumers, fans, haters, bloggers, anyone and everyone. I represent Lise Watier Cosmetiques online, which is a huge responsibility. My answers have to be quick, my announcements have to be pertinent (and bilingual), and most importantly, I have to reflect the brand as best as I can. I believe that my challenge is what makes this job exciting. The internet is quick, you cannot get away with anything, not even a grammatical error, and they will let you know! It keeps me on my toes!

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
I believe so! I was not even aware that this career existed until it was presented to me by Lise Watier. Now, I cannot imagine doing anything else. There are so many exciting areas to this profession, and it is continuously growing. The possibilities are endless and I am a very happy woman!

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?
Take risks. The week I finished university I packed my stuff and left to New York City for a fashion PR internship that I had found on the internet. Not knowing anyone or if this was even worth selling my car for. Turns out it was one of the most amazing experiences in my life!

Hard work does pay off!
When I got back from New York City, penniless, I struggled with finding out what my next step would be. I started a blog, I know everyone starts a blog, but it was more about letting my creative juices flow. Researching content, kept me up-to-date in all things fashion, beauty, news, social media, etc. It is because of that blog that I was even called up for an interview at Lise Watier Cosmetiques.


Do not settle; where there is a will there’s a way!
Obviously we work to pay the bills, but no one should have to settle. I was working a dead-end job (great company, just no room for growth and I needed to blossom!) because I wanted experience, along with my amazingly talented co-workers. We were all university graduates, clicking away at a keyboard for eight to nine hours a day. It drained us all of any creativity, because it paid the bills. Find your passion and turn it into a hobby if it doesn’t pay the bills right now, it will eventually. Seize the smallest opportunities, whether it’s freelance, charity or anything that gets you closer to your goal!


I'm adding a fourth because it is very important to me—make time for your loved ones, it means nothing if you have nobody to share it with!

0 comments:

Post a Comment