Thursday, October 24, 2013

Gals We Admire: Vanessa Mills


From the way Vanessa Mills describes herself, it almost sounds like she was destined to become a makeup artist. At age eight, she declared she wanted to be a makeup artist. Find out more about the talented and driven Mills who made that childhood declaration a reality. 

Name: Vanessa Mills
Profession: Makeup Artist – Celebrity & Fashion Makeup Artist & Owner of VMMA Makeup Artistry School & Studio
Websites: vanessamills.com (freelance work); 
vmmamakeupschool.com (we are currently under construction)
Twitter handle: @VanessaMmakeup
Instagram handle: makeuppainter

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
My work days vary being a makeup artist – our schedules are not like others. Our weekends are not weekends, rather days of the week we work. Even though I am a full-time celebrity and fashion makeup artist, I am also owner of a private instructional makeup school (VMMA Makeup Artistry School) and a makeup studio (the Makeup Studio by: VMMA). My typical work week changes day to day. Every morning the first thing I do is check my messages for work (client bookings, students, and if I am shooting for a big magazine that week). I am always on. My kit is forever being triple-checked and cleaned. Organization is a must for me. Sundays are usually my downtime. My makeup career is my baby – I don’t like to be away too long from it. 

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
I’ve always loved playing around with makeup since I can remember. My parents thought I might be an artist or an actor. When I was eight years old I declared I would be a makeup artist! I love many things but my passion and love for makeup was always my one true love. 

What do you enjoy most about your job?
The clients. I love helping people feel good about themselves. It comes naturally to me to want to help in some way. Then, there is the art of makeup. Faces to me are more than just canvas – there is a story behind each person’s face. It always intrigues me. Travelling for what I do is part of the industry – which is also another plus! I love to travel and meet new people. I also have a fascination for business, it’s in my blood. I am a sponge and love learning new things and challenging myself. 

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
The industry is small. It’s hard to get into. You have to be a strong person and really love what you do for a living. If you love what you do, great things happen! I would also say, living in Canada, being any artist is always a struggle. I just never give up!

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
Definitely! I’ve always felt I was being pulled since I was a young child to do makeup. No matter what I have this huge tug to go further. I’ve always been excited to do makeup, which has never changed. What I find interesting is the older I get the more excited I am. 

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?
Never give up! If this is your dream and you have so much passion for what you do, don’t let anyone or anything get in your way. Life is too short to be doing something you don’t like or love. 

Work hard.

Treat people the way you want to be treated at all times. I live by that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment