Thursday, December 15, 2011

Gals We Admire: Melody Rhind


Vintage clothing for kids? That's the brainchild of Melody Rhind. Get the scoop on Rhind who has built a successful business out of developing a unique children's clothing line.

Name: Melody Rhind
Profession: Owner of Escargot (children's clothing line)
Website: escargotkids.com
Twitter handle: @escargotkids

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish

I am a mom first and foremost so my day usually begins between 5:30 and 6am when my kids get up. We have two boys so it's busy. I usually spend my mornings trying to wear them out and then bring them home for naps. This is when my work day begins. I usually try to return emails, return phone calls and pack orders while they nap. I end my work day after the kids are in bed when, if I'm not too tired, I try to put a few more hours in. I try to have friends take the kids for a few hours during the day if I need to attend meetings, go to the factory or meet up with our sales rep. There have been times where my husband Jared and I have designed an entire collection over a weekend or into the wee hours of the morning simply because that is the only time we can find.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?

Initially, I wanted to be an actress, then there was a season where I thought I would be a rock star... the typical childhood dreams right? A fashion designer was in there to from an early age. I remember going on a trip with my family when I was in junior high and we talked about how I wanted to start a line of crazy patterned pants:) My dad still talks about that being the start of Escargot.

What do you enjoy most about your job?
I love owning our own business because I can do it in my pyjamas if I want to. I can be at home with my kids and I can work it around their schedule. I also love that I get to be creative and see my ideas become a reality.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?

Finding time. There are just not enough hours in a day. It's also hard to know when to "turn it off" and have some downtime.

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?

Yes.

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?

Figure out what you love and find a way to make it a career. So many people work jobs they hate and feel stuck in that. Sometimes it's worth the risk and investment to ensure you like going to work every day!

Let people know the direction you are heading. I'm always amazed at the opportunities that arise simply from telling people what you need. If you don't let people know, they aren't able to help.

Have fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment